Amanuensis Monday – this daily prompt, developed by John Newmark at Transylvanian Dutch, encourages bloggers to transcribe family letters, journals, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. (An amanuensis is someone employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.)
Today’s post is a transcription of a book clipping, Who’s Who in the Protestant Clergy (1957). It features two of my relatives and I discovered it through Google Books.
(Click to enlarge.)
Who’s Who in the Protestant Clergy (Encino, Ca.: Nygaard Associates, 1957), 34; digital images, Hathi Trust Digital Library (https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001599528: accessed April 6, 2020).
BRINER, JOHN IRA: Evangelist, Assembly of God, Stoystown, Pa.: B. June 9, 1927, Burnham, Pa.: son of Ira Dyson Briner and Grace Briner: M. Nancy Esther Vespa, Sept. 23, 1950: Ed. East. Bible Inst., Green Lane, Pa.: P. Assembly of God, Melcroft, Pa.: Assembly of God, Eaton, Pa.: D. Assembly of God: R. R.D. 3, Stoystown, Pa.
BRINER, LEWIS ANDREW, P. Calvary Pres. Ch., Wyncote, Pa.: B. Nov. 28. 1917: son of Lewis Edward Briner and Ruth Stine: M. Mildred Rosine Woodward May 31, 1941: Ch. Janet Lynd Briner, Karen Ruth Briner: Ed. Albright Coll., Reading, Pa., A.B.; Oberlin Graduate School of Theol., Oberlin, O., D.B.; Graduate study in Union Theol. Sem., New York, N.Y.: P. Cheverly Comm. Church, Cheverly, Md.; 1st Pres. Ch., Newport, L.I., N.Y.: Pres. U.S.A.: Auth. mag. articles in “Crossroads,” “Monday Morning,” “Youth Fellowship Kit.” Book reviews in “Monday Morning,” “Christian Education,” “Union Theological Review”: U.S. Navy Chaplain, World War II, American and Pacific theaters: R. 110 Glenview Ave. Wyncote, Pa..
- Meaning of abbreviations according to front matter in the book:
- B = born, M = married, Ch. = children (or sometimes Church)
- Ed. = educated, A.B. = Bachelor of Arts, D.B. = Bachelor of Divinity
- P = pastor, Pres. = Presbyterian, Pres. U.S.A. = Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, D. = denomination
- R = residence, R.D. = rural delivery (abbreviated today as RR)
- John Ira Briner is my maternal grandfather. Lewis Andrew Briner is his cousin, my 1st cousin twice removed.